Our Hope

By sharing our story and our experiences with this birth injury we will hopefully educate people. Knowledge is power. Our hope is that you will read this blog, share it with your friends, and they will share with their friends. Then in some small way we have prevented other families from having to go through what we have.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Surgery Scheduled



Jadon turned five months old on Sunday. He has made a lot of improvement but there are still no signs that the bicep muscle is beginning to work so the plans for surgery after he turns six months old are in the works. Linda from Shriners called me last week to check on his progress. At the end of our conversation she told me that Jadon is penciled in for surgery on Tuesday, September 8th. They wanted to see his most recent therapy report to start finalizing everything. He had therapy on Thursday and Carri said she would call Sarah the therapist at Shriners to talk to her.

When I looked at the calendar I realized that the 8th is right after Labor Day. I am pretty sure he has to arrive a day early for a final evaluation and testing so I am not sure if the actual surgery date is the 8th or the 9th. I am not sure they would do his evaluation and testing on a holiday, but you never know! I sent an email to Linda, Dr. Kozin's nurse, and I am waiting to hear back from her.

Now we begin to make travel plans. I think we are still going to take Shelby and Jake with us even though school will have already started by then. I think we are also leaning towards driving this time. Mainly because we are concerned about Jadon's condition after surgery. We had to hold him the entire time in the airport and on the plane the last trip. I am not sure he will want to be held after surgery a lot. It was also very cramped on the plane last time and he will be "bulky" after surgery from what I understand. We just think if we can move at our own pace on the way home it might be better even though it will take longer.

So now the search begins for outfits that are about twice the size Jadon is in and preferably button down so they are easy to get on. He will have his arm immobilized and wrapped to his trunk with several layers of wrap, a cervical collar on, and also something on both legs covering the area where they harvest the good nerves.

When things get finalized and I know more details I will let everyone know! Continue to pray!

No comments:

Post a Comment